Here is some of what I read, watched and listened to this summer:
- The Reader by Bernhard Schlink –a quick sensual read
- Julie & Julia by Julie Powell – absolutely adorable and a perfect mood boost
- Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky – a lovely net of stories from WWII France
- Food, Inc. – pushed me over the edge on my distaste for grocery store chicken and made me feel righteous for being a member of the Nebraska Food Cooperative. My kind of horror movie!
- On the Waterfront – a classic! I’m a sucker for Brando
- Annie Hall – another classic. I loved Diane Keaton.
- Rilo Kiley – Under the Blacklight – I fell in love with Jenny Lewis at the Slowdown, and couldn’t get Silver Lining out of my head for the longest time. I love singing to this album in the car (over and over again)!
- Cat Power – You Are Free – Hole-in-the-soul, sun setting in the rearview kind of music. Sometimes you just need it.
- Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band – Outer South – I saw them play under the stars at the Anchor Inn on a comfortable night in late June. It was perfect music for the setting and the season. But thinking about it now makes me want to listen to Bright Eyes…