It struck me like a ton of bricks that I will turn 30 in 15 months. Just like that, it’s looming around the bend. The realization caused me to think: I guess I better figure out all of the things I want to do before I turn 30. And then thinking about that made me realize: wow! I’ve been really lucky to have a really amazing life, filled with so many things that I have wanted to do (or at least look cool in my retrospective list of Things I Did Before I Turned 30).
So, I have decided to perform two exercises:
- Make a list of things I want to do by my 30th birthday, and
- Make a list of things that I’m incredibly grateful to have done
And here is My List of Things I Want to Do by My 30th Birthday As of Last Night:
- Read War & Peace.
- Visit Vegas (not that I really want to go, I just feel like I should visit it before I turn 30).
- Get published (an article, a photo, whatever).
- Not be envious of my friends who do/create wonderful things.
- Do/create something that I find wonderful.
- Finish a knitting project.
- Take a drawing class.
- Relearn some Spanish.
- Bake a cake from scratch and decorate it fancily.
- Visit the Met & MOMA with my sister.
- Hike in Colorado – which also covers Visiting Colorado.
- Get over feeling like my list of Things to Do Before I’m 30 is kind of lame.
The list of Things I’m Really Grateful For Having Done Already helps me overcome that last challenge, but I’m feeling shy about sharing it, almost embarrassed that I have been privileged enough to do all of the other things that would be on my list. I will save it for a braver day.